Following on the success of the first match, a return visit of Macartney’s team was arranged for the beginning of the 1923-24 season. This time the special occasion was to mark the erection of the new picket fence around the oval. Testimony to the hospitality that they had received from the locals on their first visit was that every member of the previous season’s team accepted the invitation to come back again.

An addition to the team was another international Jack Greqory, a fine all- rounder, who had played with the AIF team at the end of World War 1 and had been very successful against England in the 1920-21 series in Australia and on tour in 1921.

The local team was again captained by Will Johnston and included thirteen players. Among these from the previous match were R. Oakes (Northern Division), E.P. Barbour and S McGlynn (Newcastle), C. Morrissey (Singleton), R. McLean and H. Patfield snr. (Robins). New members of the team were J.C. Long (Northern Division), C.A. Sivyer (Allynbrook), C. Bendeich and D.E. Thrift (Branxton), G. Bell (Morpeth) and V. Cleary (Marist Brothers).

The match was played on September 8, 1902. While the weather was fine on the day of the match, heavy rain on the Friday afternoon had softened the wicket when water leaked through the tarpaulins covering the pitch. However, to get the match under way, a mat was spread over the turf and play took place on this surface. Having lost the toss and being sent in, the locals batted on a difficult pitch and struggled to make 86. Best of the bowlers for Macartney’s team were E.W. Adams who took 5 for 37 while Gregory and Macartney each took two wickets.

In reply Macartney’s team scored 7 for 265 with Johnny Taylor and Jack Gregory both scoring fifties. After being missed early on, Macartney scored an attractive 34 in an innings described as one “giving pleasure to the spectators”. The attendance at the match was estimated at over 3000.

After the match Macartney and his team were entertained along similar lines to the previous season – a dance on the Saturday night at the School of Arts followed on the Sunday by a motor tour of the local district, including a visit to John Tucker’s orchard at Paterson.

It was reported that “all expressed appreciation of the delightful time that they had” and that Macartney commented: “It is hard to say it, but I think you gave us a better time than last year.”