During the period of district cricket (1947-56) conditions at Lorn Park were not always up to the standard that had been reached prior to and during the war.
The ground suffered from the effects of a series of wet seasons culminating in the 1955 flood which inundated the ground and pavilion. To help offset the damage and losses caused by the flood, the Club received a grant of twenty five pounds from the Flood Relief Fund. The Club also had difficulty in obtaining the services of a full time curator.
For a number of seasons the Club had to rely on the volunteer efforts of a small number of team members to prepare the wicket – not a very satisfactory situation.
The use of the ground by the Maitland Rugby Union Club during the off-season created problems. The 1947-48 Report noted: “At the conclusion of cricket the ground was in very good order, but since then, constant football has played havoc with the surface. Whilst football may not affect the wicket, which would probably be top-dressed in any case, the ground receives no attention whatsoever during the football season. In future some arrangements will have to be made to ensure that the ground is not overworked and that those sports which cause the surface of the ground to become rough, bare and uneven do something to put the area back into shape”. An approach was made to the Rugby Club in an attempt to overcome these problems but to no avail.
An effort was also made to have extensions built on to the pavilion. An approach was made to Maitland City Council but because the additions would have involved too heavy a financial commitment by the Club, the proposals fell through.
One improvement that did take place was that in 1950-51 the Council for a set fee took over responsibility for the mowing of grounds. Prior to this the Club had been fortunate in having Norm Mudd’s motorised mower to keep the outfield at Lorn Park in reasonable condition but too often, other grounds, particularly those at Maitland Park were overgrown with long grass and littered with cow dung that made playing conditions difficult.
Another sightscreen was erected – this time at the Bowling Club end. New practice nets were also obtained and the Club had a water roller made at a cost of forty pounds.
That similar problems have occurred over the years is evident from a gentle chiding given to Club members in the 1955-56 Report: “The Club, during last season held one or two working bees to get the wickets and sheds in good order, but the attendance of members on these occasions was very disappointing indeed. The work that has to be done each year on the ground itself should not have to be done by the same few, season after season, as has been the result in the past. The committee would like to urge all members whenever possible to attend these little working bees and thus lighten the task for all concerned.”