At the 1956 Annual Meeting the Association decided to abandon district cricket which had been introduced in 1947-48 and revert to club cricket where players could play with the club of their choice without any district residential qualification. The change was largely brought about by the 1955 flood that led to a population redistribution, making it very difficult for clubs such as Central to draw upon sufficient players from within their district boundaries.

At the same time the name of the Association was changed from the “Hunter River District Cricket Association” to the “Maitland and District Cricket Association”.